Foxtail Millet Upma Recipe is a wholesome breakfast or dinner dish that can be made with just a few ingredients. With a little bit of planning by having vegetables chopped the previous night, preparing this dish in the morning for the family gives me a sense of satisfaction.
At home, serve Foxtail Millet Upma Recipe along with freshly sliced bananas and coconut chutney.
- 1 cup Foxtail Millet , (or mixed millets)
- 1 Onion
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Gajjar) , chopped
- 1/4 cup Green beans (French Beans) , chopped
- 1/4 cup Cauliflower (gobi) , florets
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 5-6 Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- Salt , to taste
How to make Foxtail Millet Upma Recipe
- To begin making the Foxtail Millet Upma Recipe, we will first steam the carrots, beans and cauliflower in about 1/4 cup of water on low flame in a saucepan with a little salt, keep it going on the flame for about 6-8 minutes, drain the excess water and set the vegetables aside.
- Heat oil in a medium size saucepan that has a light fitting lid on medium heat; add mustards seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the chopped onions, curry leaves and sauté until the onions are tender and the color changes to light pink.
- Add turmeric powder, green chillies, millet and salt. Stir for about a minute on medium heat until you get a roasted aroma of the roasted millet.
- Add 2 cups of water to the above mixture and cover the pan with a lid. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes until all the water has been absorbed by the millet and feels cooked and looks grainy.
- If uncooked, sprinkle more water and simmer a little longer. Once done turn off the heat and allow the mixture to sit covered for 5 minutes. Gently stir in the steamed vegetables, the ghee and coriander leaves until well combined.
- Serve the delicious Millet Upma along with coconut chutney and sliced bananas.
- Note: You can alternatively cook the entire thing in a pressure cooker for about 3 whistles. Once the pressure releases completely, you can stir in the vegetables and serve.