This nutritious vegetable has a high water content. It is also known as calabash, long melon, lauki, ghiya, dudhi, laau (in Hindi).
– It is used to make curries like Dal Lauki (a dish prepared with chana or toor dal), aloo lauki, lauki ke kofte etc.
– Lauki Halwa is also a popular sweet preparation.
– It is used in international cuisines to prepare soups, stews,
– Bottle Gourd is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, calcium, phosphorous etc.
– It is light and easy to digest.
Tip: Taste a small piece of the raw Bottle Gourd before cooking it. If it is unusually bitter, it should not be used.